Ricability carries out research and publishes information to enable disabled and older people to live independently.
- evaluation - user and technical tests, surveys and other assessments carried out on a wide range of products and services
- publication of guides for disabled consumers
- research commissioned by other organisations, but of ultimate value to the disabled consumer
- improving the standards of products and services by making manufacturers, service providers and regulators aware of the needs of older and disabled people
Ricability staff design and manage all its research, although specialised services are commissioned from appropriate organisations and individuals.
- aims to create a market which meets the needs of older and disabled consumers
- involves older and disabled people at every stage
- is shared freely with disability and other organisations
Working for change
Ricability is actively involved with a number of groups and working parties, specifically concerned with consumer issues around product and services for older and disabled people, including:
- ANEC (European Association for the Co-ordination of Consumer Representation in Standardisation): Special Needs Working Group, Domestic Appliances Working Group
- British Standards Institution
- EIID (European Institute for Inclusive Design)
- National Information Forum
- UKIID (United Kingdom Institute for Inclusive Design)